My not-so-little girl

June 20, 2011

I remember when I was young my mother would say things like, “you’ll always be my baby boy,” and, “I wish I could put a brick on your so you would stay little forever.” Now I’m a and my little baby has grown into a big girl. I feel my mother’s words coming to my lips and they almost spill out. Then I look at Ruby and realize that I wouldn’t hold on if I could. She’s growing, and I often feel like I’m not paying close enough attention; feel like I’m missing too many of the precious moments of her life, too many of the new facial expressions, thoughts, worries; feel like too soon she’ll be 14 then 21 and off on her own adventures.

Even as I worry about these moments flying by unobserved or under-appreciated I marvel at her. I marvel as she competently hops off our boat to cleat us off at the docks; wonder at the stories and songs she creates, her whole magical inner-self exposed; beam as she wakes me up with hot coffee (sometimes a little gritty, but still); cringe as she makes the same mistakes I made (and still make); and revel when she becomes—for a moment—her best self.

My not-so-little girl turned 7 yesterday. On her next birthday she will have crossed an . She will, if her promises are to be believed, have bought her own sailboat and be sailing next to Convivia. She will (according to her) be almost a grown up. Will I be stemming the flood of cliches again next year, or will I finally have spent the observing and appreciating her magnificent orbit around the sun?

Comments

comments

6 comments

1. Comment by cindy

cindy June 20, 2011 at 8:30 am

Happy Birthday to you Ruby! May your next year be full of sweetness and adventure!

2. Comment by Dave

Dave June 20, 2011 at 8:25 pm

So true. And sadly I feel the same way about my boys, and their even much younger! I try to cherish the moments I have, but I guess they will change as they grow. Looking forward to seeing you guys in September!

• Comment by Tucker Bradford

Tucker Bradford June 21, 2011 at 10:48 am

Us too Dave, we were just thinking of and talking about you last night. Can’t wait to catch up!

3. Comment by Cidnie

Cidnie June 21, 2011 at 5:29 am

Ate my comment again. Happy Birthday to Miss Ru! Tucker, I think you and Victoria do in fact take time to notice your kids growth. You are doing an excellent job with the two kids entrusted to you.

• Comment by Tucker Bradford

Tucker Bradford June 21, 2011 at 10:50 am

Thanks for trying again Cid. I’m hoping to have this comment thing worked out just as soon as I… where did that list go…

anyway, thank you. I love the image of children being entrusted to us 🙂

4. Comment by Torre

Torre June 21, 2011 at 4:24 pm

So sweet. Good luck to Ruby and her pursuit to have her own boat next year. There’s an opening in the world records for an 8-year-old to solo circumnavigate. Maybe Mattel will sponsor a boat for her? She’ll be a grown up after all … Or not. Hopefully not.

Comments are closed.