Yesterday I got the vang 1/2 installed. I bolted the mast bracket on and sail-tied the boom bracket in place. If you look at Convivia you might think I have completed the task, but I still have the hardest part to do. Tomorrow night I will raise the mail sail, tug down on the sheet and set the topping lift. Once I have that “measured” I’ll drop the main, compress and align the boom bracket of the vang, and then drill and tap the holes. Once the vang is in place I’ll have to figure out how to alleviate the new chafing point that the vang’s tang induces. My current plan is to attach the mainsheet’s turning block to the tang on the vang, but we’ll see.
In other 1/2 measure news the new Hella Turbo fans arrived today. I ordered 6, one for each berth and two for the main cabin. I quickly installed the one for the galley (that could come in useful when frying) and one for Ruby’s berth (she gets hot in there sometimes). The other 4 will probably get done over the next few nights as we decide where we really want them.
And lastly, and completely unrelated to the topic of this post, we moved today. We resisted moving down dock for almost a year. This week we reluctantly admitted that the 30 minute walk to the showers every day, and the nearly 15 minute walk to the car (several times daily) wasn’t going to get any easier if we relied on the kids to walk faster (or with less complaints) so we moved all the way to 6th slip from the head of our dock. Luckily it is owned by the same guy that owned our old slip, so we didn’t have to give notice or anything.