A Night on the Town

May 26, 2008

Last year, around my birthday, Wes and I hatched a plan to go out for burgers and beer, and then catch a movie. It didn’t come together until Saturday night, and even then, the plan had to be modified. I left the house at 6:45 in order to meet Wes at Thirsty Bear by 7:30. Ruby had a total meltdown about my going out. I tried to remind her that she wanted to leave me for a sleepover the next night, but I don’t think her sense of empathy is developed enough to really appreciate the comparison. After what I thought was a successful negotiation with her, I was out the door.

At 3rd and Howard (half a block from Thirsty Bear) Wes called to get directions. As he was only a block away, I hung out on the corner to wait. Perhaps the highlight of the night was when I saw Wes barreling down the sidewalk on his unicycle. He had a big old grin on his face as he wound his way through the crowd. We had an IPA (which was fantastic) and headed over to the garage to drop off the unicycle in my trunk. We made it into the theater moments before the movie started (Iron Man) and got pretty great seats. Wes pulled out two beers from his jacket, and the movie was on. I got through about the neck of my bottle before I realized that a two hour movie and two beers were not a good combination.

Iron Man was a fantastic slugfest. If you’re in the mood for a super-action movie with great [mechanical]hand to hand fighting, this is the flick for you.

We got out of the theater around 11 and I was feeling pretty tired, so we decided, in the interest of safety, to get an espresso. Bad idea! I made it home safely, but didn’t get to sleep until 4:30am. Unfortunately Ruby and Miles (who also had a late night) didn’t want to sleep in, and at 6:30 I was up and at em.

I sucked it up and dealt, since it was my bad choice, but at 9:30 when my bike ride started, I was not sure if I was going to be able to finish.

…Continued in the next article.



Go top
%d bloggers like this: